« Stockholm / Uppsala Neurotechnology Cluster Analyzed |
| Wyeth's CEO Rober Essner Calls For Stepped Up Alzheimer's Effort »
June 20, 2006
Two Companies To Begin Offering "Lie Detection" Using fMRI
Recent developments in the application of functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) to lie detection raise tremendous concerns for civil liberties. The federal government has invested heavily in a range of technologies and devices, including fMRI, for their use in detecting deception. At least two companies have recently announced that they will soon offer lie detection services using fMRI and are aggressively marketing their services to private companies and government agencies for everything from personnel screening to interrogating terror suspects. These companies are Cephos Corporation and the obviously named "NoLieMRI. These companies are intending to market their services to federal government agencies, including the Department of Defense, department of Justice, the National Security Agency, and the CIA, and to state and local police departments. It will be interesting to see how the courts view these news analysis tools. My opinion is that this technology is not ready for prime time, but one thing is for sure, it looks like the neurosociety is emerging quickly.
+ TrackBacks (0) | Category: Neurosociety
- RELATED ENTRIES
- Chinese Cover of The Neuro Revolution
- The Neuro Revolution Lands In China
- How Neuroscience Will Change the World - My Interview on Reason.tv
- Neuroscience Hearing on Capitol Hill Wednesday Sept 29, 2pm
- The Neuro Revolution Published in Japan as "Neuro Wars"
- Neurotech 2010: Translational Researchers Highlight Innovation
- The Neuro Revolution in China Progressing
- Speakers for Neurotech 2010 - Boston, May 19-20