« Woodruff's Doctors on Brain Injury Treatment |
| The National NeuroTechnology Initiative (NNTI) »
March 14, 2007
The Addiction Project, Thursday Night on HBO
Addiction is the number one brain-related illness on the planet. Worldwide nearly 800 million people are addicted to a substance. (Note that most 'addiction surveys' fail to recognize nicotine addiction. A fact I find truly confounding.)
In an effort to shed a spotlight on this vast and growing neurosocial epidemic, HBO has produced the Addiction Project, a 90-Minute film that will air this Thursday at 9:00 pm. Immediately following the premiere, the website will offer this and 14 other films in their entirety for free on the site. So if you don't have HBO go to the website.
The website is meant to be a resource for people who are interested in the science of addiction, and for individuals and families who need help. If you believe you may have a problem go you might take a minute and read this webpage.
Here are some mind numbing statistics on addiction:
- Nearly 1 in 10 Americans over the age of 12 are classified with substance abuse or dependence.
- Over 18 million adults suffer from alcohol use disorders.
- Alcohol and drug abuse costs the American economy an estimated $366 billion per year in lost productivity, health care expenditures and crime.
- Of the 22.2 million Americans who needed treatment for illicit drugs or alcohol, only 3.9 million received it.
- Among those who felt they needed treatment but did not receive it, 44% attributed it to cost or insurance barriers.
- More than half of all adults have a family history of alcoholism or problem drinking.
- One-fourth of all persons admitted to general hospitals are admitted for problems related to alcohol.
- More than 100,000 deaths in the United States each year are attributable to excessive alcohol consumption
The Addiction Project is produced by HBO in partnership with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA). Bravo to these organizations.
+ TrackBacks (0) | Category: Mental Health Issues
- RELATED ENTRIES
- Chinese Cover of The Neuro Revolution
- The Neuro Revolution Lands In China
- How Neuroscience Will Change the World - My Interview on Reason.tv
- Neuroscience Hearing on Capitol Hill Wednesday Sept 29, 2pm
- The Neuro Revolution Published in Japan as "Neuro Wars"
- Neurotech 2010: Translational Researchers Highlight Innovation
- The Neuro Revolution in China Progressing
- Speakers for Neurotech 2010 - Boston, May 19-20